By George K. Francis
Praise for George Francis's A Topological Picturebook:
Bravo to Springer for reissuing this distinct and gorgeous publication! It not just reminds the older new release of the pleasures of doing arithmetic through hand, but in addition exhibits the hot new release what ``hands on'' relatively means.
- John Stillwell, collage of San Francisco
The Topological Picturebook has taught an entire iteration of mathematicians to attract, to work out, and to think.
- Tony Robbin, artist and writer of Shadows of truth: The Fourth measurement in Relativity, Cubism, and smooth Thought
The vintage reference for a way to give topological information visually, packed with striking hand-drawn pictures of advanced surfaces.
- John Sullivan, Technische Universitat Berlin
A Topological Picturebook shall we scholars see topology because the unique discoverers conceived it: concrete and visible, freed from the formalism that burdens traditional textbooks.
- Jeffrey Weeks, writer of The form of Space
A Topological Picturebook is a visible dinner party for an individual all in favour of mathematical images. Francis presents beautiful examples to construct one's "visualization muscles". while, he explains the underlying ideas and layout thoughts for readers to create their very own lucid drawings.
- George W. Hart, Stony Brook University
In this choice of narrative gemstones and exciting hand-drawn images, George Francis demonstrates the chicken-and-egg courting, in arithmetic, of photo and textual content. because the ebook used to be first released, the case for photos in arithmetic has been gained, and now it's time to think about their that means. A Topological Picturebook is still indispensable.
- Marjorie Senechal, Smith university and co-editor of the Mathematical Intelligencer