By Amy Nunn
The Politics and heritage of AIDS therapy in Brazil
Amy Nunn, middle for AIDS study, Brown collage scientific institution, Providence
In 1992, the area financial institution warned that Brazil may face huge, immense demanding situations confronting the AIDS predicament, and forecast that Brazil may have 1.2 million humans residing with HIV by way of the yr 2000. this present day, AIDS incidence in Brazil is nearly 660,000, and Brazil is domestic to the oldest and one of many biggest public AIDS therapy courses within the constructing global. tough the traditional knowledge that AIDS therapy used to be infeasible in constructing international locations, Brazil has halved AIDS-related deaths and dramatically lowered AIDS-related morbidity. this day, Brazil’s AIDS software is taken into account an international model.
The first booklet to relate Brazil’s advanced and encouraging historical past, The Politics and heritage of AIDS remedy in Brazil strains improvement of Brazil’s AIDS therapy guidelines throughout the country’s tumultuous route to democracy as its executive redefined entry to wellbeing and fitness care as a uncomplicated correct. Meticulously researched, and drawing on dozens of interviews with politicians, activists, humans residing with HIV/AIDS, pharmaceutical executives and well-being care services, this profound quantity explains the main position of Brazil in elevating worldwide AIDS awareness. The Politics and background of AIDS therapy in Brazil additionally explores the worldwide implications of Brazil’s application and identifies the demanding situations forward for addressing HIV/AIDS within the constructing global.
In transparent, available element, The Politics and historical past of AIDS remedy in Brazil examines:
- Brazil’s lengthy heritage of AIDS therapy within the context of revolutionary social movements.
- The coalition-building among politicians, activists and govt organizations in constructing the country’s nationwide AIDS application.
- The function of the administrative, legislative and judicial branches of presidency in selling entry to medications for AIDS therapy in Brazil.
- The government’s debatable judgements to supply prevalent AIDS medications and problem multinational pharmaceutical agencies relating to AIDS drug prices.
- Brazil’s ongoing efforts to advertise international entry to AIDS therapy and the country’s contributions to overseas wellbeing and fitness, human rights, and alternate legislations with regards to entry to drugs.
- The impression of the Brazilian event on international AIDS drug costs and international AIDS remedy policy.
The Politics and heritage of AIDS therapy in Brazil includes useful classes for readers throughout disciplines, fairly researchers and practitioners in health and wellbeing coverage, international wellbeing and fitness, HIV/AIDS, political technology, and Latin American studies.
"This is an outstanding educational paintings, person who merits to be extensively learn, and that during my opinion will end up thought of the best historic research at the social and coverage reaction to the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Brazil – and one of many significant coverage stories at the reaction to the AIDS epidemic at any place within the world."
Richard Parker, Mailman tuition of Public wellbeing and fitness, Columbia University
With foreword via former Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso.